In the words of Hannah Montana:
Don’t get me wrong, I love who I am
I don’t wanna be ungrateful, it probably sounds strange
I really love the role I play, the songs I sing
But with all the fame
The things that seemed so simple are suddenly so far out of reach
I wish that they could see that underneath
I’m just an ordinary girl
Sometimes I’m lazy, I get bored
I get scared, I feel ignored
I feel happy, I get silly
I choke on my own words
I make wishes, I have dreams
And I still want to believe
Anything can happen in this world for an ordinary girl
Like you, like me
For an ordinary girl
Like you, like me
My name is Natalie and I am a UCLA alumna and current English grad student.
I am not an LA or New York native, so my fabulous city life has definitely been in the making for several years (and has now ended for the next two years since I have relocated for grad school!)
I’m going to try to keep this as updated as possible since I have grown over the past four years that I have been blogging.
- I was notorious at UCLA for taking very ~serious~ term paper topics and completely flipping them around to write what I wanted. In many film and English classes, I wrote about Glee and One Direction. I know there is one film TA out there who is probably scarred that I wrote a 10+ paper on 3D concert movies comparing Metallica and Glee, but listen dude: my tuition, my paper, and I still graduated early.
- I was ten years old when I watched High School Musical 3: Senior Year in theaters and I cried for the rest of the day. I am a sensitive kid when it comes to things that I really love.
- I’m currently watching comedy specials on Netflix . Always looking for new TV show recommendations as long as they are not violent.
- My favorite podcasts are Nicole Byer’s Why Won’t You Date Me? and Juan and Sarah’s Podcast From Planet Weird. I also listen to Matt Bellasai’s Unhappy Hour, Lindsey and Bobby’s Who? Weekly, and Jaye and Robert’s One More Thing.
- My favorite musicians are Lorde, Taylor Swift, Shawn Mendes, and Florence + The Machine. Right now I’m getting into Haim and SZA.
- 2017 was officially the summer of Shawn Mendes, just like 2012-2015 was the summer of One Direction.
- 2018 is the summer of having to get my life together and be an adult.
- During the summers I am a seat filler for award shows and studio tapings.
- I was a seat filler for the 2017 MTV VMAs and I will never let anyone forget that EVER.
- All of my television and music dreams have come true. Now I’m trying to make my own little mark in academia because why not.
- Eventually I will write a book. It’s going to be an anthology about Hannah Montana and how my identity as the Mexican Hannah Montana is real. Norton English Anthology: Hannah Natalie Montana. DM me if you want to contribute.
- In spring 2020 I will have a Master’s Degree in English. Right now I am researching potential PhD programs for English. Cause girl, believe me when I say that I’m going to write a huge fcking book that has facts and research and it’s going to be all about me. All of this is about me. ALL OF IT. We live in 2018 and I can set my own corner of the internet on fire if I want to.
Follow my social media accounts to see my journey from a small-town girl to a west coast celebrity. I’m not ashamed.
Bruins on Broadway blog: bruinsonbroadway.wordpress.com
Thank you for being here!